Dosha benefits: Kapha, Pitta
- Bitter gourd 2
- Shallots, chopped 5
- Garlic, chopped 5 cloves
- Grated Coconut ½ cup
- Tamarind Gooseberry sized
- Coriander Powder 3 tsp
- Red chilli Powder 2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder ¼ tsp
- Mustard seeds ½ tsp
- Fenugreek seeds ½ tsp
- Curry Leaves 1 spring
- Coconut Oil 2 tbsp
- Soak the tamarind in warm water and let it soften. Chop the bitter gourd pieces into small cubes or in semi circles.
- Dry roast the grated coconut, shallots and garlic cloves on a low flame till it turns golden brown in color.
- After it cools a bit, make a smooth paste with little water.
- Heat oil in a kadai (pan) and splutter the mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the bitter gourd pieces and sauté for a good 8-10 minutes.
- Add the coriander powder, chili powder and turmeric powder.
- Fry for 30 seconds. Extract the pulp from the soaked tamarind and add it.
- Add the coconut paste, required amount of water and salt.
- After the gravy boils, reduce the flame and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes till oil floats on top.
- The tamarind & coconut masks the bitterness of the bitter gourd pieces and makes it tasty even to bitter gourd haters.
Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health programs.