Dosha benefits: Vata or Pitta
- Split green gram skinless 1 cup
- Spinach, chopped 1 bunch
- Fenugreek leaves, chopped 1 bunch
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped 3 tbsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Garlic, chopped 6 cloves
- Green chilies, chopped 3
- Ginger, chopped 1-inch piece
- Oil 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds 1 tsp
- Onions, chopped 2 medium
- Tomatoes, chopped 2 medium
- Red chili powder 3/4 tsp
- Lemon juice 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak the dal in two cups of water for an hour.
- Pressure cook with turmeric powder and salt for two whistles.
- Open the lid when the pressure has reduced and mash with the back of a round ladle. Set aside.
- Grind garlic, green chilies and ginger to a paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds and as they begin to change color add onions.
- Sauté till onions turn light brown.
- Add tomatoes, red chili powder and ground paste.
- Sauté till tomatoes soften.
- Add palak, methi and coriander leaves and sauté for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add cooked dal and one cup of water. Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Adjust salt and add lemon juice. Cook for four to five minutes, stirring continuously.
- Serve hot with rice or Indian bread.
- Fenugreek improve digestion, useful in anorexia and diabetes. Fenugreek leaves are used as vegetable across India and is low in calories. It is a strong antioxidant and good for bone health.
Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health programs.