Dosha benefits: Pitta, Kapha, Vata
- 1 cup rice
- ½ cup moong dal (split yellow)
- 6 cups (approx.) water
- ½ inch ginger root chopped
- Himalayan Salt (1/4 tsp. or so)
- ½ tsp. coconut oil
- ½ tsp. coriander powder
- ½ tsp. cumin powder
- ½ tsp. whole cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. mustard seeds
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- ½ tbsp grated coconut
- 1 pinch asafoetida (hing)
- Handful of fresh curry leaves
- ½ tbsp Cashews
- Optional: assorted vegetables or greens
- Heat coconut oil in a pressure cooker
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, chopped ginger, slit green chillies, crushed pepper, curry leaves & saute them
- Add turmeric powder in the oil followed by water, salt and mix well.
- Add dry roasted and washed rice grains, split moong dal and mix well.
- Pressure cook the mixture for 1 to 2 whistles.
- Once the pressure is released, enjoy steaming hot Pongal or Kichari is ready.
- Make sure that the Pongal is semi-thick in consistency.
Pongal Kichari benefits:
- Kitchari is balancing for all constitution types.
- The split moong is easy to digest for even people with weak digestion.
- The combination of rice and moong dal provides all the amino acids needed to form complete protein
- Kitchari is typically given to people who are sick, the elderly, and babies because it is so gentle and easy to digest.
- Pongal or Kichari based diet for several days offers the digestive system a rest by making the mono diet extremely simple to digest.
- Spices like ginger, cumin, coriander, fennel, and rock salt encourage healthy agni
- Moong dal has an astringent quality which has a natural pulling action that helps to remove toxic build up from the intestinal lining.
- Kitchari also loosens and liquefies toxins (aama) during digestion and makes it easier to remove from the GIT.
- The split moong has enough fiber to move toxins through the GIT and out of the body.
Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health programs.