Dosha benefits: Kapha & Vata
- Ragi grains 2 cups OR
- Ragi flour 1½ cups
- Black gram, husked 1/2 cup
- Salt 1 tsp
- Oil for cooking
- Water for soaking
- Soak urad dal and ragi grains separately for minimum of 3 hours or overnight. Grind the urad dal separately till it becomes fluffy.
- If you are using ragi flour, grind the urad dal to a smooth batter and mix in the ragi flour to this. Add little water and mix to get a idli batter consistency.
- Next, grind the ragi separately (if using ragi grains).
- Mix the urad dal batter and ragi batter together with required salt.
- Let the batter ferment overnight or until it doubles in volume.
- If you are in a cold country, leave the batter in the oven with the light on to aid the fermentation process
- After it ferments, you can make idlis or dosa immediately.
- Ragi is Sweet in taste, has Heating potency and its qualities are Dry and Light. It balances Kapha, Vata to some extent but increases Pitta
Note: The information in this article is intended for your educational use only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and before undertaking any diet, supplement, fitness, or other health programs.